Saturday, November 17, 2007

Final Good Bye

This is my final post to all the wonderful folks at SOV2. I have been accepted formally as a member of the Institute of Servants of the Queen of Apostles. I requested what is called a "bilateral transfer" and it was granted. I now assume all the privileges of my new community. They are a wonderful group, and I know I have finally found my lasting home. After more than 40 years of roaming, always wondering where I belong, I have finally found it!

One of the privileges of my new community is that I received a new name. I am no longer Sr. Fairah. I am now Sr. Mary Martin of the Blessed Sacrament. Now before everyone goes on and on, yelling about male domination, let me explain why I LOVE my new name.

Mary: She was the BEST and BOLDEST woman to ever live on the face of the earth. Who else could have told the Son of God to take out the trash?

Martin (de Porres): He is the patron saint of social justice. Now, you know I GET social justice. While my new community doesn't usually DO a lot in the area of social justice, they are really BIG on praying for it. I am dedicating my entire life for the cause of justice in the world. Everything I do will be given over to that end.

"of the Blessed Sacrament": It is tradition that a devotion of particular interest be given to the Sister. Because I have spent close to 20 hours a day in chapel since my arrival in Columbus, they thought it was fitting I be devoted to the Blessed Sacrament, and I agree!

Now, I know some are still screaming about my taking a man's name. CALM DOWN! GET A GRIP! Here's how I see it: We believe that in Christ, there is neither free nor slave, neither male nor male, neither rich nor poor. So if Dym Tim were to decide to become Dym Tammy, you would all applaud his recognition of the divine feminine in him. So, I am doing the same thing. Consider this: taking a male name reminds us all that gender is secondary to being. I am SISTER to all, and that is my primary name. Martin was a HUGE lover of the poor, the natives, the untrodden. I am HONORED to be named after him. Scream all you want, I don't care if it is a male name. It does not bother me at all!

So I will miss everyone. I am happy the Gorbortines are making themselves such a big part of SOV2. I am glad Dym Tim (or Dym Tammy, as some would have it) is back. I hope Che' doesn't come back from his cruise all red like a lobster! I will greatly miss Maryann and Keith and IR. I still call some more women to come forth in leadership at SOV2. I hope Adoro will come around more often ... she has a lot she can teach you all! Oh, and I don't miss H. Roberts at all ... I am praying for the repose of his soul (a concept most of you don't get, but it's ok... God gets it!).

To one and all, peace and the love of Jesus Christ. You will be in my prayers as I give myself over to Jesus. Pray for me, too.

6 comments:

ignorant redneck said...

Uhhh--Sister Mary Martin,

theat seems so gud!
I wishes theyre wuz a place like that fer us min sos we could do it two!

I likes the pictyur of yor new cloatheses--wi don'tn't pepul hav stuff fer gis that lokes so mutch goddlee?

it wuld be gud to pray like that stid ov preyin lik thys.

Syb Bob said...

Well Sr Mary Martin I guess you must go where the spyryt of Gaea leads. But I do wish you had chosen Martin for Martin Luther, but I guess "the poor" guy is ok too.

Father Tim said...

Hey Syster. Well, in a spirit of love and community I have to say that you and your kind aren't welcome here anymore. Don't come back until you've cast off the "dead faith of the living" that has infected you.

No peace for you!

Tim

Rae said...

I'm going to miss you so much, Sr. Fairah!! If this traditionalist group disappoints you, please come back!

Britt said...

Sister! I'm so glad you've decided to take both a man and a woman's name. How progressive of you! I wish we all the people of SOV2 would become as progressive as you and take cross gendered names as such.

ignorant redneck said...

Miss Britt,

wuld that mak mi missy redneck, or ignorant missy? all my sysyrs is named missy