- It's a radical break from the past! The traditions of the last forty years have just been thrown out like they have no value at all.
- It will confuse people! The faithful have grown up with the Spirit of Vatican 2! Now you're telling them to do things different - pray different - be different! What kind of message does that send?
- It's unenforcable! You can't make people start saying the mass in a different language! You certainly can't make ME do it!
- It's offensive to the Jews! There's a whole part in the mass somewhere that says that Jews are going to hell. PUHLEEEEZE! Come on. Not only is the concept of "hell" outdated, but you just can't go around offending the Jews. At least not if you want to get a mortgage or a car loan. Also, they make all the good movies.
- There is no Latin equivalent to the phrase "earth-mother"
- The Latin Mass is too long
There are a lot of other reasons too. But hey! Good news! Oh... Mr. Pope... there's this little thing called PRIMACY OF CONSCIENCE! So guess what! Publish all the little documents you want. I'm going to be saying the mass in English and there's nothing you can do about it. And it's not just me. Everyone from Cardinal Mahoney to Archbishop McBrien will be saying the mass in English. And you can take that to the bank!