Hey everybody! Rae over at Quo Vadis? has "tagged" me for a "Me Me". I've done these before and they're a lot of fun, so here goes!
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.
[Fr Tim is stepping out of character here - because the person who plays Fr. Tim doesn't have the kind of books that Fr. Tim would have.]
1. Closest book: Cardinal Ratzinger's "Called to Communion"
2. Page 123 it is
3. Fifth sentence: The authority established by Christ to reconcile, pasture and teach continues unchanged in the successors, but they are apostles in the true sense only when and insofar as they "persevere in the teaching of the apostles" (Acts 2:42).
4. Next three sentences: The same principles are formulated almost even more comprehensively and explicitly in the mirror for presbyters held up by the First Letter of Peter (5:1-4): "I admonish the presbyters among you as a fellow presbyter and witness of the sufferings of Christ as well as one who will have a share in the glory that is going to be revealed. Pasture the flock of God entrusted to you, not out of compulsion, but in conformity with God, freely, not out of avidity for gain, but out of voluntary dedication. Do not lord it over those committed to your care, but become an example for the flock."
5. I tag: Ché, Adoro, Paul at Regular Thoughts, and of course, Syb Bob and Agent Smith.